Intern Spotlight: Sarah Montzka

I've had the pleasure of working alongside many superb collections volunteers over the past seven years at the Museum. Each contribute invaluable insight and energy into our work. This week, we'll learn a bit more about our newly-arrived Summer Naturalist Intern, Sarah Montzka. They are studying wildlife education at UW Stevens Point and also have a passion for interpretive media and graphic design!


In your own words, tell us about your role at CNHM, any past museum experiences, and what you’re excited about working with or learning in the collection. 

My main role at Cable Natural History Museum is to plan and lead the Junior Naturalist programs along with Elliot, the other summer intern. When I’m not working on Junior Naturalists, I also do various work around the Museum including helping out with collections, animal care, and anything else that’s needed. One thing I’m excited to learn this summer is how to maintain the quality of preserved specimens as well as restore damaged ones. There are so many beautiful specimens here at the Museum and I want to help them all be in the best shape possible.

 

Can you describe a favorite museum specimen, display, or exhibit? It doesn’t have to be from CNHM!

My favorite museum exhibit would be Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Into the Deep exhibit. I am fascinated by this exhibit as it houses some animals that can be found in captivity nowhere else in the world. A favorite species of mine on display here is the abyssal comb jelly. These light pink oval-shaped comb jellies navigate through the water by moving lines of small hairs which flash rainbow in the light. They are also notable as they are predatory and feature a large mouth at the end of their body that they use to consume other jellyfish. I also love the display built to replicate a whale fall, which is a unique ecosystem that forms on the bodies of dead whales that sink to the bottom of the ocean. My favorite species from this display is the bone-eating worm, a creature who exists solely at whale falls to consume whale bones.

 

What are some of your hobbies/interest related to the natural world? What would you like to learn or what new skills would you like to develop?

I am an avid carnivorous plant enthusiast, with pitcher plants being my current favorite as I am fascinated by their unique colors and shapes. I am especially fascinated with the reddish-purple veining featured on Sarracenia purpurea, which is a Wisconsin native species. I have also recently become interested in finding Wisconsin spring ephemeral plants, with dutchman’s breeches being my absolute favorite to see. Outside of plants, I love collecting rocks and minerals. I have a large collection of agates which I am always looking to grow, as well as a lot of other random specimens.

 

One topic that visitors should bring up to spur a lengthy conversation with you?

Jellyfish! I could talk for hours and hours about jellyfish. I understand that’s a bit of a far-off topic here in the Northwoods though. If one wanted to have a conversation with me that’s more grounded in our local natural history, I always love to talk about Wisconsin’s native mollusk species, including slugs, snails, and freshwater mussels. I’d also love to discuss carnivorous plants!