Unparalleled Panama

I eagerly unpacked the stack of newly-printed Panama birding checklist booklets that just arrived in the mail. The pages still smelled of fresh ink and hinted towards adventure to come. I started to skim through the checklist, organized into neat, and long, categories. "Parrots, Parakeets & Allies, Antbirds, Hummingbirds, Fin- hold on, all those are Hummingbirds?!"

While typically opting for fungi over birds, the naturalist in me had recently renewed her interest in the delights of birding. The amazing photos, stories from the field, and faithful recordkeeping I've come to rely on and revel in as a mycophile are all characteristic of the birder world too. It's about time I immerse myself in it. 

The Collared Aracari, a handsome little toucan, breeds in Central America
south into Panama. They can be readily observed at fruit feeders
positioned at various hotels and restaurants throughout the country.

In just over a week, I will be distributing the birding booklets to eight other adventurous souls as we arrive in Panama. Our group, traveling as part of the Museum's Nature-Based Travel program, will be spending ten days experiencing the country through varied activities from birding hikes to home visits with artisans. Panama - home to abundant habitat types, unparalleled biodiversity, vibrant indigenous cultures, and a complex history of colonizing influences - is still largely recognized for either the Panama Canal or its birds. And while I hope to gain a holistic understanding of Panama's complex identity, I will certainly put on my birder hat, too. 

So, back to all those hummingbirds. Locally, Ruby-throated Hummingbirds capture our fascination. Their familiar iridescence and territorial flight maneuvers are a striking display in the Northwoods. They are one of six hummingbirds observed in Wisconsin, and the only species nesting in the state. 

Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are at home in both the 
pines of the Northwoods and the rainforests of Central America.

As I read through the list of Hummingbirds observable in Panama, I was amazed to see 59 species. Each one of those is more fabulous than the next! With numerous occasions to focus on birding, I'm sure to return later in December with my birding booklet worn with notes, memories, and inspiration.