Notes From the Field

By guest contributor and Summer Program Assistant, Kelly McKinley 

This week I had the joy of spending a morning out in the field as part of an insect collection project. As a first-time insect collector (unless you count a middle school science project), this was an exciting way to spend a sunny Cable morning. 

First, I gathered collecting supplies (bags, jars, a large net, and some coffee to start the day), and then headed to the Museum's Wayside Wanderings Natural Play Area to begin the search. Immediately, it was clear there were tons of different insects to be found - moths, butterflies, beetles, flies, and many more. 

Some proved tricky to collect. I spent a good 20 minutes chasing around a butterfly, who I later found hiding among some milkweed plants. Another moth flew out of the collection bag just as it was being zipped up. Several families who stopped by Wayside Wanderings while I was collecting had several questions and some general curiosity about what I was doing. One boy even asked, "If I find any cool bugs, can I give them to you?!" to which I responded with a resounding "Yes!"

Heading down towards the Namekagon River Landing, I came across my most unique find - a green stick bug! After several hours of searching and exploring, I returned with almost 30 insects ready to be inspected. 

Overall, it was a wonderful way to spend a morning at the Museum. Now it's on to spreading wings, pinning, and labeling the new insects. And starting my new hobby of bringing in interesting bugs I find at home.