Tsundoku and Methods in the Art of Taxidermy

Now is the time to admit that I practice tsundokuan art that I achieve with enthusiasm, abandon, and also remorse. The term applies to the act of acquiring reading materials without successfully making the jump to actually reading said materials. Books tend to pile up in my home, office, and even the back of my SUV. Do I read most of them? No! I feel a book's physical form alone brings me adequate joythe cover art, old-paper smell, scrawled notes, dedications, recipes, and mysterious wear and tear that implies a life long before I set my eyes on it. 

Methods in the Art of Taxidermy was published in 1894 - 
that puts 128 years worth of advances in taxidermy approaches and
technology between Davie and taxidermists of today!

The older, more dilapidated, or outdated the more treasured a book is in my eyesand Methods in the Art of Taxidermy is certainly afforded that status in my collection. 

I found the antique book when I first moved into my officeIt was just one among many on the stuffed shelf discussing taxidermy, biology, and natural history. The taped spine with a faded title stuck out like a sore thumb among newer prints with rightfully shiny covers. As I cautiously pulled Methods out from the shelf to sift through its contents, the book's heavy cover tugged away from the hinge to reveal loose pages. Damn, I thought, this thing has to be old

I had only recently started back up on taxidermy work with the Museum's salvaged animal collection, so at the time I was still lacking confidence in even the most basic techniques. But still, I had the mental wherewithal to realize that the book's diagrams did not demonstrate modern practices. 

For instance, I would not expect anyone these days to perch an owl on a cartoonish crescent moon like the O'Neal's in Paper Moon. The image pointed to a very particular era that has long gone. I suppose after 120 years, taxidermy has changeda quick look at the copyright page reveals that the book in my hands was printed in 1900.


In the Depression-era story of Paper Moon (One of my very favorites -
I just had to reference it!), the central characters can be seen posing
on a paper moon—a popular photo booth prop in the heyday of souvenir photography.
Above, taxidermist Oliver Davie proudly presents an image of an owl mounted 
on a similar crescent moon as an example of his work completed in the 19th century.

Has the book's value vanished over time? Perhaps only if one considers how the creamy pages cling desperately to a worn cover, while the information contained in them has fading relevance in today's taxidermy practices. Author and naturalist Oliver Davie may be fading into obscurity too (though, it looks like his bird books still sell online for a respectable price). However, as a naturalist, taxidermist, and observer of tsundoku, I believe the value persists.