Superstars in Science: My Favorite Women in Taxidermy

As a teen, I repeatedly found “taxidermist” listed on the results of my career aptitude tests and heartily laughed the idea off. I was an extremely creative high schooler and deeply cared about animals, but I never considered making art out of their bodies. That was for a demographic wholly outside where I landed as a younger girl who didn't eat meat and always looked away when passing roadkill. Ten years later, here I am, still a vegetarian, but now storing dead squirrels in my freezer and pulling at woodpecker tongues with forceps. 


Thinking about the peculiar turn-around now, I believe the problem back then was that I already had an image in my mind of who a taxidermist could be—and as a young woman, I surely did not fit the bill. But today I have a different outlook. I see increasing female representation in this practice, and I consistently lean into the knowledge of other women as I strengthen my own unfurling skills.

So who are my favorite teachers right now? Let’s travel through the internet to meet my current top three:

Elle Kaye: I first started following Kaye's work a couple years ago, as I clamped onto my hobbies while spending more time at home. Her work quickly stuck out on my social media feedbeautifully-detailed songbirds are her specialty and passion, but this Brit has so much more to offer to the field. Beyond regular photos of her original taxidermy and conservation work, she has a strong educational presence too. I particularly appreciate her dedication to connecting others. Her new podcast project, aptly titled "Specimens," recently launched, and so far I cannot get enough of her interviews with others in the fields of science and conservation. 

Mickey Alice Kwapis: Kwapis was perhaps one of the first female taxidermists who made it onto my radarI liked the work she presented online, loved that she was young and already heavily engaged in the business, and it didn't hurt that she was based in Chicago (not local, but close enough!). She, too, has a lot going onfrom exquisitely-crafted DIY kits and guides, to sustainable taxidermy workshops and speaking engagements, and an incredibly useful blog. As a bonus, Kwapis is dedicated to local sustainability and social justice efforts, and regularly participates in fundraising events for local conservation work. 

Helen Kairo: I'm not quite sure that Kairo would label herself as a "taxidermist," but while she may lack the title, to me she absolutely encapsulates the definition of the craft. The anatomy professor, biologist, artist, and content creator has been helping me to become a better caretaker of specimens for years. She currently has an amazing feed on social media, where she uses stories and illustrations to teach us about both the ordinary and incredibly unusual facets of animal anatomy.