Volunteer Spotlight: Michele

I've had the pleasure of working alongside a handful of superb collections volunteers over the past couple years. Each contribute invaluable insight and energy into the work we do at the Museum. This week, we'll learn a bit more about our newest volunteer, Michele. 



In your own words, tell us about your volunteer work at the Cable Natural History Museum, and how you became involved.

I became involved with the Museum mostly due to my daughter, who works there. Now that I moved to the area, instead of just visiting the Museum I can help with some of the extra work that needs attention. I was surprised by how much behind-the-scenes work happens there! I’ve enjoyed cataloging the tiny specimen bottles of macroinvertebrates—viewing things I would have never seen in my lifetime if it wasn't for volunteering. I hope to help out in other areas in the future too, whether it’s painting projects, organizing, or whatever other tasks that I can.

Can you describe a favorite museum specimen, display, or exhibit? It doesn't have to be from the Cable Natural History Museum!

The fox mounts! I moved from the city in central Wisconsin, so coming up to the Northwoods I've seen different animals that I wasn't used to coming across.  In my new home here, I have a fox running across my backyard daily. They run so fast and even though I can’t get a close-up of their face, I can observe a fox and many other Northwoods animals closely when at the Museum. Right now there is a great display of foxes in a den—it’s such a treat compared to looking up the picture online.

What are some of your hobbies/interests involving the natural world? What would you like to learn or what new skills would you like to develop?

Since moving here a few months ago, I've been hiking the trail systems almost daily. I'm a tree person. When I used to drive up here to visit my daughter, I loved seeing the difference in these forests. The different pines, their history, and even the smells of these forests are intriguing to me. I would like to learn more about how these different species of trees contribute to the unique Northwoods habitats.

What's one thing you wish everyone knew about the Museum or our collection?

I wish everyone knew that the Museum isn't just a place to walk through and explore for a few hours. They also provide educational field trips both for adults and children.  The knowledge of the Naturalists is shared in other communities where they speak and demonstrate the wonders of nature. The staff and volunteers have such a variety of skills, whether it's writing for a publication, creating social media content, painting a beautiful piece of art for the exhibits, doing taxidermy work, and so much more.

Thanks, Michele!