Falling Into Restoration

Earlier this autumn, I took on the dream opportunity of restoring a few bird mounts for the local gem that is the Forest Lodge Estate. The eagle, loon, and owl had sat in a damp, dusty, and dark hall for many years--perhaps even decades. So when I finally transferred them into the work van and began driving down a winding driveway towards the public road, I began to feel the weight of such an unfamiliar project. The eagle was full of mold! Both the owl and loon had been visited by mice. All three had seen much better days. 

But little by little, signs of improvement are coming into view. My first success has been in wiping away layers of dust and mold, and finally varnish, from the eagle's talons. I actually look forward to continuing to remove years of damage to these beautiful, historic mounts.  


Stay tuned for updates and insights from the workroom!