Forest Lodge Exclusive

Sprawling along the southern shoreline of Lake Namakagon, the Forest Lodge estate feels just within my reach. I can paddle up towards the side of the illustrious boathouse from a kayak, peer through hanging branches to view the old greenhouse from the roadway, and even walk the grounds during public programs. I don't access the historic property often, but sometimes my work in collections affords me unique opportunities to make my way into exclusive spaces.


I recently returned to the estate during a pelting rainfall just a couple weeks ago. Despite the dreary weather, I felt warm and fuzzy inside. A member of the Forest Service had invited me to come assess severely damaged animal mounts--a dream opportunity for someone like me. This meant I would be able to view antique mounts from our area, and hopefully become part of their long history. 


After soaking up all the rainwater my jacket could hold, I followed staff into the dim main lodge. Electrical work was not yet completed, so we approached the taxidermy mounts with flashlights. I was taken to a moose, loon, eagle, owl, and handful of deer, and I felt each had potential for restoration. Then some pelts were brought out, and once again I was mesmerized by the unique nature of my experience. 

I came into that exclusive tour full of excitement over a tangible encounter with pieces of our area's past. Walking through the cold puddles as I left, I beamed with hope as I thought about future possibilities for others to connect with the history of Forest Lodge.