Insects on the Run

I followed along the winding highway as the sun rose in the bright blue sky outside the van's window. I love work days that begin like this--traveling off to an unfamiliar destination with animal specimens in tow. Pinned insects were held in a secured case on the passenger seat, while live insects stirred among the wildflowers in Ironwood, Michigan, where I was ultimately headed. 


Joining the small group of children for the morning educational program felt like the very first time I had lead an activity back in college. I was worried that I wouldn't speak loud enough for them to hear me; I was worried that the activities wouldn't be engaging enough. This was the first group program I had facilitate since back in March, and like all other educators I was thrown into a reality where hand sanitizer was a must and up-close learning was seen as a potential danger. 


But despite health concerns and a squirrelly audience, the morning was a blast. The nine pre-teens began with a dragonfly art project led by their first instructor. Once we switched over to my half of the program, I had already sensed out how loud I'd have to talk through my mask. We shared moments of excitement as I walked around the distant circle with the case of many insects. Each and every child then impressed me with their matching skills as we discussed which insect was pictured in the close-up photos I had taken for last year's insect display. 

We then headed off along the town park's trail to sweep our nets through the milkweed, tansy, and goldenrod outlining the forest edge. Ants, grasshoppers, and a cabbage moth were brought back to our gathering spot to be compared to the insects I had brought along. The morning was well spent, and while I struggled to imagine school groups adhering to physical distancing protocols in the near future, my heart was warmed to watch everyone gather to inspect insects together. We ran with the circumstances, and as everything progresses this year, I still hope to continue running off with my specimens for mornings like these.