Spring Cleaning

Although the transition into spring felt much different this year, I stuck with the traditional routine of "spring cleaning." Never before have my counters been more inhospitable for ants, have the tops of bookshelves been more clear of dust, or my spices been so well organized. With all my fervor for cleaning  and reorganizing my own house, I've started to feel as if I had been neglecting my cleaning duties at the Museum. 

But before we even begin to think about safely opening back up to the public, I really ought to tidy up a bit at the Museum too. 

First things first--a few displays have become out-of-date or inappropriate. We will be retiring our animal pelts for some time before reintroducing them back as touch specimens for visitors. And since the last two months have crawled on for what seemed like years, I should probably now take down the Specimen of the Month display for March. 


It may also make sense for me to take this opportunity to clean up the collections "department"--as long as hoards of visitors likely won't be in. 


One area that always tends to become as congested as I feel this time of year is the collections storage room. This is where we house everything not on display, after all, so quite a few taxidermy mounts, rocks, and other specimens take up space in the enclosed room. One remedy for this is to naturally bring more specimens out for display! As I continue to come to work in the office more and more, I plan to bring more specimens into the hallways for a closer view. Already a beautiful, dark beaver invites us around a corner, and soon more birds will fly above. 


By the time I finish some spring cleaning, I'm hoping that the Museum will look as fresh and well-organized as my home now feels!