Mending a Lynx

Lynx really do have giant paws--and I can say that from experience. While this species is uncommon enough that I will probably never meet one live, my job allows for some unique opportunities. I have held the relatively small paw of a salvaged bobcat and have now held the much larger paws of a lynx. Such an experience is nearly as rare as lynx are in our forests, but I was afforded it when the Museum was gifted a pelt. The tattered lynx pelt will be experienced by others beyond myself too--it just needs a bit of mending first. 


Above, the forepaw of a lynx. Its pelt was recently gifted to the
Museum. Below, the forepaw of a bobcat. Both cats are similar
in body size, but lynx have large feet that act like snowshoes.
The lynx pelt arrived in a vintage hat box. As I first removed the large, circular cover of the box, I was delighted to find the pelt neatly placed within. Its previous caretaker, a retired wildlife biologist of the National Park Service, had communicated with me prior to the exchange regarding the pelt's history. He had acquired it in the mid-1990's before leaving Alaska, where among other projects he had worked on a lynx study.  During this, lynx were routinely captured and safely released--save one individual. The lynx from which the pelt was created had died as a result of an unsuccessful capture. The pelt was then used over the years for educational presentations. 

With excessive handling comes damage. As I dug the pelt out from its confines, I found that a ziplock bag containing parts of hind feet had been included. I had been informed that the feet separated from the rest of the pelt, but was still disheartened to see that. Rather than immediately cataloging and making the pelt available to others, I would instead have to take time to make some needed repairs. So, I took the pelt home with me one night, readied a thin needle with cotton thread, and started on sewing a foot to its respective leg. 

Given appropriate conditions, pelts may be repaired with
a simple sewing project...
...this would not be the case with the lynx!
By the time I pulled my second stitch snug, the skin began to tear. The pelt was brittle and I realized that it would not be fixed in the manner that I had planned. Inexperienced in tanning, I had no clue how to proceed. The pelt started to feel more like a nuisance than a gift. Yet I did away with my pessimism--I reminded myself that this was just another learning opportunity that would add to my skills in the future. 

I scoured my resources for instructions on proper mending to little avail, but did come across some helpful considerations. I ordered "Soft Finish" through a taxidermy supply company and will cross my fingers until I see the results. Although the product sounded like a hair care product, it should help to soften the leather. Perhaps the pelt will be one step closer to an appropriate condition for handling. As I wait for my order to arrive I will continue with my research, among a number of other odd conservation projects. Next up, injecting hummingbirds with ethanol!