Migrating Kudlas

Traveling south on the heels of migrating birds, butterflies, and other insects, is our very own "Kudlas." After years of care to thousands of Museum specimens as Collections Monitor, John Kudlas will be trading in his days of taxidermy and fly fishing the Namekagon River for retired life on the Gulf Coast of Florida. It's difficult to imagine collections work without his witty knowledge, but the Museum community must now send its warm wishes to John as he begins his new journey. 

John stands in the collection storage room
with waterfowl behind him. 
John began his work for the Museum as a member of the hiring committee. He made sure to insert the types of questions that now seem standard for any naturalist interview--asking applicants to discuss the differences between cranes and herons in flight, for example. Given his academic background in biology, ecology, and experience in the art of taxidermy, John was naturally given a tour of our collections. He apparently gazed upon our many taxidermy mounts--of mammals ranging from small rodents to large canines, and of numerous birds both perched and in flight--and readily commented that they were dirty. John never seems to hold back when he sees a problem but always does so with the promise that he will work to fix it. Rather than dismissing our museum, John further applied himself to our success by subsequently becoming our Collections Monitor.

My first experience with John in recollection was when he pulled me into the collections storage room as an intern to help with the annual cleaning of each specimen. Later that summer, I was pulled into the back work space affectionately called the "Tower" to learn how to perform taxidermy on a songbird. The following summer, I followed him around the building as we collected insect traps for pest management. He even made me write to someone regarding a salvaged bird, even though I know that he could just as easily have navigated the computer to write the email himself. In that respect, the teacher really shows in him--he has always made sure that I learn through my own experience. As a former intern, I owe many of my formidable experiences with the Museum to John, as he truly dedicated himself to helping anyone and everyone around him to learn.

Many of the Museum's mounted birds have been prepared
or repaired by the hand of John.
As John retires to Florida with his wife, Donna, they will both fill their days volunteering with the various raptors and manatees at Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park. I expect that they will find time to visit the Northwoods on occasion, but I will no longer be regularly greeted by John's characteristic songbird whistling as he walks into the office. 

I have come to regard each work day with John as imperative to my own development, professionally and personally. John has helped me to revive our macroinvertebrate collection, negotiate the return of a hefty specimen loan, and inspired my first experiences with taxidermy mount preparation. Just as significantly, he encouraged me to volunteer with the Lake Ecology Education Program (which he has been instrumental in), gave me the instruction and all the necessary supplies for fly tying, and filled my bookshelves with old field guides.

Each summer, John makes sure to facilitate an experience
with taxidermy for our summer interns.
I admittedly struggle with articulating my appreciation for John--for someone so deserving of praise, he is incredibly humble in revealing his accomplishments. Rather than receive recognition, he simply wants to share his wonder for the vast world around him by encouraging others to experience the same. On behalf of the Museum, I wish to thank John for all that he has done for our collections and all that he has inspired within our community.