Intern Spotlight: Kali Sipp

I've had the pleasure of working alongside a handful of superb collections volunteers and interns over the past few years. Each contribute invaluable insight and energy into the work we do at the Museum. This week, we'll learn a bit more about Summer Naturalist/Geologist Intern, Kali. They are a recent geologist graduate with "an unending thirst to learn more about any subject given to them."


In your own words, tell us about your work so far at the Museum and what you're excited about working with or learning in the collection.

My time at the museum thus far has been absolutely grand. Near the beginning I had a good time going through a new addition to the rocks and minerals part of the collection. It was a mess of organization and crumbling labels—an ongoing project, really. But I managed to compile much of it into a more navigable setup. Using this museum donation and other samples we had in collections, I managed to stitch together a mineral cabinet display, detailing the different groups of minerals. It was a fantastic learning experience and loads of fun!

The other part of my first month with the museum was teaching school field trip groups about the Geology of the Northwoods. I included much in my time teaching, including the difference between rocks and minerals, the rock cycle, and, of course, the geologic history of Northern Wisconsin. It was a good challenge to teach kids about these topics, knowing what to leave out was difficult because I know so much and I wanted to teach them so much.

Working with kids has bled over into me now teaching the Junior Naturalists. Now it’s a lot less geology focused, and more biology and ecology focused. Both of which are subjects I am familiar with, but lesson planning each day has proven a challenge for me. It takes a lot to plan out two hours of activities for kids each day.


Can you describe a favorite museum specimen, display, or exhibit? It doesn't have to be from the Cable Natural History Museum!

A favorite exhibit of mine has got to be the Evolving Planet exhibit at the Field Museum in Chicago. I have been going to the Field Museum ever since I was a tyke and have been obsessed with dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures for just as long. But my favorite part of the exhibit is certainly SUE, the informal name given to the near complete T. Rex fossil with the official designation of FMNH PR 2081.

SUE was a main fixture of my childhood but has re-fixed their self as an important figure in my adult life. Not only for their importance to science, but for being a queer icon—as a recent study suggests we don’t actually know the gender of SUE, and as a result queer scientists advocate for SUE using they/them pronouns. It’s nice to know I have a 10-ton murderbird advocating for my own use of they/them pronouns!


What are some of your hobbies/interests involving the natural world? What would you like to learn or what new skills would you like to develop?

In the first half of this year, much of my time spent after classes was spent in the Northland College Geology Lab. There, I was oftentimes peering down the microscope at petrographic thin sections—a fancy way of saying slices of rock so thin you could shine a light through them. I was learning how to use a polarizing light microscope for a research project in addition to taking microphotographs of these thin sections for the CNHM.

Though, I really had no idea what I was doing in the beginning, I was essentially teaching myself how to use this new tool using online tutorials and other reading materials. I had an absolute blast doing it, to say the least, spending upwards of five hours after classes in the lab just looking down the scope. But now I yearn to learn more about how I can apply this knowledge of microscopes further.


What's one thing you wish everyone knew about the Museum or our collection?

I am going to be a little egotistical and say my Mineral Photography display. I alluded a bit to the photomicrographs I took for the CNHM in the previous question. Photomicrograph is just a fancy way of saying “photo taken of things under the microscope”, and these photomicrographs I took are all of rock samples from Northern Wisconsin.

The first time I looked down a microscope and saw minerals in a thin section was absolutely magical, because you don’t expect something like a rock to look that jaw-droppingly stunning at such a small scale. Having the opportunity to share that hidden beauty with visitors and explain what they’re seeing has been one of the top highlights of my time working at the museum. I hope my work inspires others to seek the unseen beauty of the world that surrounds us.

Thanks, Kali!